Peter loves helping others to understand what it is like to have complex communication needs through presentations at conferences and training support staff from a variety of organisations. Through his art, writing, music and community education, Peter is actively becoming a popular role model for people with a disability.
He has helped train Disability Services (government) staff, uni students and others in the use of Facilitated Communication. He is also invited regularly to speak at government and organisational events.
His varied activities have helped him grow professionally, but ultimately he wants to inspire others with a disability to express themselves creatively and to show the wider community that people with a disability can contribute in so many valuable ways to the greater good of all humanity.
Read about some of Peter’s presentations:
• 2013 – Macquarie University, Sydney (presentation to Early Childhood Teaching students)
• Guest speaker at launch of Art From The Margins’ documentary & exhibition
• Presenter at Finding My Place forum in Brisbane run by the Community Resource Unit (CRU)
• Secondary speaker at Toowoomba Business disAbility Awards breakfast (Peter has been a speaker for the past three years, since its inception in 2011)
• Part of a panel discussion with Jessica Watson on ‘overcoming hurdles’
• guest speaker at Caboolture Special School Art Show in 2012
• 2012 – Presentation on Facilitated Communication to disabled clients and support workers in Hervey Bay
• Presentation at AGOSCI conference 2009