Hello! My name is Peter Rowe, and
welcome to my website!
I have Down syndrome and other conditions that restrict my ability to articulate speech. For the first 30 years of my life I was unable to communicate but thanks to a system called Facilitated Communication (or ‘FC’), I am now able to live a full and meaningful life.
Since discovering FC I have become an exhibiting artist, have written, illustrated and published seven children’s books, and have regular public speaking engagements. I have performed at festivals and other places around Australia as part of the innovative musical trio QWERTY and through my activities with the Brotherhood of the Wordless.
Through Facilitated Communication, and the tireless support and help of many people like my parents, Justin and Betty, and other faithful individuals and support workers, there is no limit to what I, or others like me, can do.
Because I cannot read, write, or speak (without a facilitator), my website has become an important and helpful way for me to tell you about my life, and all the various things I have been able to achieve and participate in over the years.
It is also important because my goal in life is not only to encourage others with a disability, but also to show the world what we are capable of, and what we can achieve, given the right support, encouragement and opportunities.
I hope you enjoy reading about my journey through life with a disability and all I have been able to achieve and do in spite of it.
Use the ‘QUICK ACCESS GUIDE’ (below) to check out all my web pages. My website is being updated constantly, so bear with us. Click on the links to read about a topic, or view a gallery…
EVENTS & Activities >
• ‘Colour is My Voice’ Solo Exhibition 2013
• Macquarie Uni Lecture 2013
• Working on a new Josh book
• Brisbane Rotary Art Spectacular 2013
• ‘Branching Out’ Exhibition Launch 2012
• ABC Open Day-in-the-Life Project 2012
• Toowoomba Business Breakfast 2012
• AFTM Doco/Exhibition Launch 2012
• AFTM 2012 Exhibition
• Brisbane Square Library 2012
• Hervey Bay presentation 2012
• Panel Discussion with Jessica Watson 2012
• Cup From Above Café exhibition 2012
• Caboolture Special School Art Show 2012
• Josh Book Launch 2011
• Book Reading Caloundra Library 2011
• Perseverence Dam 2011
• BOW: Cabaret 2011
• BOW: Big Thoughts from Frightened Well 2011
• BOW: Air For The Birds – State Library 2010
• AGOSCI conference 2009
• Art Exhibition 2008
• Misc. Events
• Art From The Margins
• Starting to Paint
• Art from 2011 > Galleries: Abstracts | Chook series | Critters & Creatures | Doors & Windows | Faces & People | Fantasy Creatures | Flora | Guitars & Music | Houses | Owl series | Paintings on Doors | Places & Scenery | Prints & Plates | Robots | Sculptures & Pottery | Still Life
• Art to 2010 > Galleries: 9-pic montage | A Way with Colour | Doorway series 1-2-3 | Earlier Works | Faces from the Past | House series | Self Portraits
• Working with Cheryl > Galleries: Developing Fine Motor Skills | Figurines | Glazing | Sculptor at work | Log Sculptures | Outdoor Sculptures | Painting with Cheryl | Stamping and Etching | Working with Clay | Faces from the Past
POETRY > Believing | Fear | Fear of Falling | How A Bush Christmas Should Be | I Am Growing | I, too, am a Special Person | Love Song | The Angel in My Room | The Butterfly | The QWERTY board | The Words Are Sticky | Thoughts on Suicide | Globs | Thwarted Desire | Holding Hands | Everyday Things I Love | The Race | The Brotherhood of the Wordless | Poems from ‘the Dark Days’
Photo DISCLAIMER: Some of my photos included on this website include other people. Unfortunately we have not been able at the time to get their permission to use these photos on our website. If you are in one of the photos on this website and you do not wish to have your photo published online, please contact me asap so we can arrange for its removal. We apologise to anyone who may be offended by having their image published on this website without having obtained their express permission. If you are in a photo and we do not hear from you, we will assume that you are okay with us using your image. Thanks!